Theme: Bullying and Self-EsteemSummary:
Chrysanthemum is starting her first day of Kindergarten. However, because her name is so different she finds that, that is just one of the many jokes that hurts her feelings on her first days at school. Her parents reassure her again and again that her name is beautiful. The music teacher helps Chrysanthemum feel better by talking with the class and sharing her name, which is just as unique as Chryanthemum's with her. The mice children learn a valuable lesson and Chrysanthemum regains confidence in her name and herself.
- Students can write a personal narrative about a time when they were put down by another student or friend.
- Have you ever put down another person before because of something silly?
- Journal Entry: Explain how the relationship between Victoria and Chrysanthemum changed. Has something like this ever happened to you?
- Pick a perspective: Students will write a diary entry as one of the character's from the story: the bully or the bullied.
- Have students make an acrostic poem of their name using positive character traits about themselves.